I was at an event last night, you know, hobnobbing with the Hollywood elite. Or, you know, at least the people who work for the Hollywood elite. Or really, just the common folk while the Hollywood elite conversed among themselves. The point is, I was at a party on a Thursday! What a rebel.
Anyway, I was talking to a very nice woman and she was telling me that her version of cooking is going to the prepared foods area at Whole Foods, which is not going to land her a man (her words!). I told her cooking is a lot easier than people think, you just need to know where to start and find some simple recipes that are big on flavor, enough to impress
a man people. Once you have a few of those down, you’ll get more comfortable and want to try more adventurous things! Before you know it, you’ll never go to the Whole Foods prepared section again! And maybe you’ll land a man.
Today’s recipe is one of those recipes that is delicious, simple, and impressive. It’s got a ton of flavor, you probably have most of the ingredients already, and, if you’re into it, it’s low carb! Something for everyone!
It starts by combining flour with some spices in a paper bag. It’s like you’re own Shake-n-Bake!
Then you coat each piece of chicken in that mix, and put it in a pan to brown.
After the chicken is golden brown, remove it, and add in half & half, cooking sherry, and a lot of parmesan cheese to make a flavorful sauce.
In a baking dish you layer the chicken on top of a bed of chopped broccoli, and top each piece with prosciutto.
Pour the sauce over the whole thing, and add more parmesan! Never enough parmesan.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until it’s perfectly done.
Serve to guests who won’t understand how delicious it is until they take a bite and fall over in their chairs.
You can use more or less chicken, you can cut the chicken breasts in half (so you have an excuse to use more prosciutto!), it works either way. The chicken is perfect, the prosciutto is crispy, and the broccoli absorbs the flavors and cheese from the sauce. I encourage everyone to give it a try and report back. It’s super easy. And will definitely impress everyone who eats it!
CHICKEN & BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
6 chicken breasts
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tbsp sage
1 tbsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
3 tbsp unsalted butter
4 cups chopped broccoli
6 slices prosciutto
1/2 cup half & half
1/4 cup cooking sherry
2/3 cup parmesan or romano cheese
salt & pepper
1. Heat oven to 350.
2. In a paper bag, mix the flour, sage, oregano, and paprika. Add chicken breasts, one by one, and shake to coat. Like Shake-n-Bake! Shake off the excess,and place aside.
3. Melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from pan.
4. Pour excess oil from the pan, and add half & half. Bring it to a light boil over high heat, stirring to scrape off the delicious brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
5. Add the sherry, boil for one minute.
6. Add all but 3 tablespoons of the parmesan cheese, and season with salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted. Remove the pan from heat.
7. Place chopped broccoli in a layer at the bottom of a baking dish, and place chicken on top. Cover each piece of chicken with a slice of prosciutto.
8. Pour sauce all over chicken and broccoli. Sprinkle remaining parmesan on top of each piece.
9. Bake in oven until the chicken is tender, and the sauce is bubbling. About 30-35 minutes. Serve hot!