With summer officially beginning in a few days, swimsuit season is finally here. Not that I wear swimsuits that often, it’s not a pretty sight (it’s not terrible either). But the point is, it’s time to slim down for a few months, before autumn comes around and I fill up on stews and pies and soups and turkeys and cookies and…can it be autumn yet?
Anyway, when it’s hot, and you’re in a season full of fresh vegetables, the obvious choice is to have a salad. But with so many options, what kind of salad do you have? The choice is always obvious for me: a taco salad!
I love a taco salad. It’s spicy, it’s flavorful, and when you use salsa as the dressing, it is practically guilt free (in my mind).
It’s also super easy to make, and an easy lunch to assemble if you need to take it to work. I’ve been eating them all week!
I use ground turkey meat, because it’s “healthier,” but you can use whatever meat you want. You can also totally use packaged taco seasoning, and I won’t judge because it’s delicious.
I sauté some onions, and then added spices like cumin, coriander, chili, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, and then let them warm up to really bring out the flavors.
Add the meat in, brown it, add a little water to let the spices really get into the meat, and you’re halfway done!
For the salad, I chop up some mini-peppers, tomatoes, and radishes.
Next, add some chopped avocado, black beans, olives, corn (I used canned because I’m lazy), and some pickled jalapeño peppers for a nice kick. Toss all that with some lettuce and a few tablespoons of whatever salsa you love, and crumble a taco shell over it for good measure.
There you have it, a tasty, satisfying, delicious lunch salad!
To use it during the week, keep all the components in separate containers, and it makes assembling them a breeze, and keeps them from getting all mushy.
1 1/2 lb ground turkey
1 small onion
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tomato, chopped
5 radishes, chopped
1 bell pepper (or a handful of mini peppers), chopped
1 avocado, cut into cubes
1 can black beans
1 can corn
1 small can sliced olives
Salsa of your choice (I prefer green)
Taco shells or tortilla chips
1. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion to pan, saute for 3-4 minutes until soft.
3. Add cumin, coriander, chili, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant. (*Add more or less of whatever spices you love/hate!)
4. Add 1/3 cup water, and stir. Cook until water evaporates, and then season to taste.
5. In a bowl, combine lettuce, tomatoes, radishes, pepper, avocado, black beans, corn, and however many jalapeños you enjoy. Toss all that together.
6. Put some salad on a plate, and top with 1/2 a cup(ish) of meat mixture.
7. Break a taco shell or some tortilla chips on top of the salad.
8. Top with a few tablespoons of salsa, and garnish with cilantro if you have any.